Chaska Celebrates Immigrant Voices
During April 2022, the Chaska Human Rights Commission hosted an exhibit and several events that brought to life stories of immigrants who have come to the United States, Minnesota, and Chaska. By sharing these experiences of resilience and adaptation, the Human Rights Commission focused on building connections we share with each other in our community.
Green Card Voices Exhibit
- Details: The Green Card Voices exhibit features 20 Twin Cities’ immigrants and has traveled to over 35 locations throughout Minnesota. It includes portraits of immigrants, their 200-word bio, a quote and a QR code (viewers can scan them with iPhone/iPad and watch the first-person video story). The videos are a novel way to engage with the audience and has been received with positive reviews. (Description courtesy of the Green Card Voices website)
- For more information, visit the Green Card Voices website.
Community Screening of Through the Iron Curtain: From Romania
- Details: We watched the documentary Through the Iron Curtain: From Romania. This documentary uses testimonies of those who lived and suffered under the oppressive Communist regime in post-World War II Romania. Along with unique experiences shared by immigrants themselves, the documentary includes commentaries from historians and recollections from renowned Minnesota journalist and news anchor Don Shelby. This documentary was produced by the Heritage Organization of Romanian Americans in Minnesota (HORA) in partnership with Twin Cities PBS (TPT). Following the film, there was a discussion with HORA members Monica and Jim VonGeldern. Monica and Jim were a part of the movie production and were also featured in the documentary.
- For more information, visit the Through the Iron Curtain website.
Community Immigrant Voices Panel
- Details: This panel discussion featured several Chaska community members who have immigrated from various countries outside the United States. We invite you to listen to their stories, gain a deeper understanding of their experiences, and learn more about how they came to make Chaska their home.
- Watch the replay of the panel discussion.